The best way to achieve what you want is by having clear, short-term and long-term goals. Many times we have great ideas but we don’t take the necessary steps to achieve them. Look at the following formula:
Ideas + ideas = ideas
Ideas + action = result
If we don’t take the right action, we get stuck with ideas. That happens to many people. The successful ones used the second formula. They got results because they took the actions to achieve them.
We all have dreams. Some achieve them. The difference between a dream and a goal is a date. Goals are wishes and objectives set in concrete terms. They become the map that you will follow to achieve your goals, set priorities and manage your time.
To be effective the goals must be:
1. Specific and measurable – they have to answer what you are going to do; when are you going to do it and how are you going to do it. That way you will know when you achieve them.
2. Achievable – Goals have to be realistic. If not, what you will do is reinforce your unconscious thought that you cannot achieve what you want. In addition, this way you will avoid frustrations.
3. Demanding – to challenge and motivate us. In this way we will not fall into the boredom of routine.
4. Written – to remind us.
5. Dated – to create a sense of urgency.
6. Our own – if they have to be fulfilled by your sole responsibility, and do not depend on another person.
7. Or, if they are common goals, they must be Participatory – to ensure the commitment of those who are involved in their fulfillment and
8. Compatible – to synchronize with the goals of the organization or with those of others.
We all have a purpose in life. That’s the reason why we are here. Purpose has to do with our personal development and how to extend it to others through service. The purpose can be as simple as planting bushes that beautify the Earth, or as complicated as being a ruler of a country. The labels of importance are put by us. They are all equally uplifting.
We know our purpose by recognizing our talents. These are the ones that will help us achieve our purposes.
Talents, in turn, we discover by paying attention to those things we like to do. Many times we know what it is when we answer the following question. “If I had all my needs covered, I didn’t need money and I could be doing what I enjoy the most, even without pay, what would I do?”
The following exercise serves to clarify the purpose in your life and what you want.
Make a list of the following things:
1. The values that are important to you.
2. What things do you like most about yourself?
3. The things you like to do the most.
4. What motivates you to do what you want and achieve success?
5. Your skills for what you want to achieve.
6. Your past experiences.
7. Detailed description of your ideal.
8. The ideal environment where you want to carry it out.
Once you finish the exercise you will have a clearer idea of your vision in life. It is important that you have your vision clear. This will help you stay on track. If not, it is like being in an unfamiliar place without a map. You go from one side to the other, without knowing where you are going. Setting clear goals will make your journey much easier.